|Mary Virginia Merrick was born on November 2 in Washington, DC in her maternal grandmother's home at 615 E street, Northwest. She was the second oldest of seven children of Richard Merrick, a prominent Catholic lawyer, and Nannie (McGuire) Merrick, whose father, an art connoisseur who was influential in establishing the Corcoran Art Gallery in Washington, DC.
|Mary and her sister prayed for the conversion of their mother to Catholicism and for a baby brother, both prayers are answered.
|At the age of 11 Mary experienced a moment of realization (a conversion experience) when she gave herself to God in a wheat field.
|Mary received her First Holy Communion and pledged to "serve Our Lord in the poor."
|At the age of 14 Mary took a fall from her playhouse at "Linwood", the family summer home in Ellicott City, MD. This began her life of physical suffering.
|At the age of 17 Mary was diagnosed with Potts disease. This disease slowly paralyzed her legs and some areas of her spine.
|Both of Mary's parents die in quick succession of each other. In spite of her physical handicaps and her grief, Mary assumed responsibility for the family. It was at this time that Mary also began enlisting the help of her family and friends to serve the poor and serious thoughts of Mary Virginia's vision for her Christ Child Society continue to develop at her family home at 1306 F Street Northwest with the help of her friend Leonide Delarue. Mary Virginia Merrick and friends make and deliver the first Christmas layette and answer children's letters to the Christ Child with gifts marked "from the Christ Child."
|First year of the Society's informal existence. A group of "Friendly Visitors" was set up to visit the homes of the poor to determine their needs.
|The Merrick home, in the city of Washington, DC becomes the early headquarters of the Christ Child Society.
|The Society was officially established in Washington DC, where Mary remained the president of the Chapter for the rest of her life.
|The first annual report of the Christ Child Society is published.
|Fresh Air Work began whereby underprivileged children were provided 2-week summer stays in rented country cottages.
|A "Volunteer Visitors" group was formed to go out into the community to investigate conditions in homes where layettes and clothes were distributed to determine and tend to their additional needs.
|The Christ Child Society Settlement House opened at 1101 H St., NW.
|Society organized on a formal basis with committee on organization formed to set up Society on a business footing.
|Motto "Laborare Est Orare" ("To Work is to Pray") was adopted
|Society formally adopts a constitution and bylaws
|Society incorporated in the District of Columbia.The charter stated that the "object of the society was to improve by useful instruction and charitable relief the condition of the poor children"
|The first "Branch" of the Christ Child Society was founded outside of the Washington, DC area in Baltimore, Maryland.
|Italian Settlement started near Union Station at request of Cardinal Gibbons.
|A Christ Child Auxiliary was established at St. Augustine's Parish to serve the needs of the "colored" Catholic community in the city.
|Boys Club organized at the Italian Center
|Seven branches of the Christ Child Society operating in other cities
|Permanent Fresh Air Camp established in Silver Spring, MD
Mary wrote a children's book, The Life of Christ for Children
Libraries were established in Jails, Tuberculosis Hospitals and a reform school in the city.
|Branches of the society were established in Davenport Iowa, Indianapolis Indiana, and Akron Ohio.
|Purchase of Fresh Air Camp property
|Mary Merrick received the Laetare Medal from Notre Dame University
|National Christ Child Society established with Mary Merrick as president. She remained president of Washington DC Chapter and the National Christ Child Society until 1948.
|Building for first permanent headquarters purchased at 324 Indiana Ave, NW.
|Silver Spring property was sold and property on Norbeck Road in Montgomery County purchased.
|Regular rummage sales were organized.
|The Voice of the Christ Child, a quarterly newsletter first published
|Fresh Air Camp was converted into Convalescent Home for 6-12 year olds.
|New headquarters and settlement house built at 608 Massachusetts, Ave., NE.
|Men's committee formed to direct the work with boys and the Christ Child Boys Club was renamed the Merrick Boys Club
|Mary Virginia Merrick was the first woman to receive the Cosmopolitan Club Medal
|Christ Child Opportunity Shop purchased at 1427 Wisconsin Ave in Georgetown.
|Gymnasium added to the Settlement house, dedicated to the "service of youth."
|Summer camp for girls opened near Annapolis
|Mary Merrick awarded Theta Phi Alpha Medal as outstanding Catholic Woman of the Year by the National Catholic Council of Catholic Women
|Mary Merrick presented with Proc Ecclesia et Pontifice Medal
|Mens' Committee of the Merrick Boys Camp formed
|Merrick Girls' Camp Committee organized to raise funds for girls' camp
|Mary Merrick resigns as president of National Christ Child Society. Mrs. Alice Hopkins became the national president.
|Mary Merrick received honorary degree from Georgetown University
|Annapolis camp property was sold and the Girls' Camp was established in Calvert County on the Patuxent River on land provided by the Archdiocese of Washington.
|Norbeck Road property was sold
|New building for Convalescent Home was erected on Edson Lane in Rockville. Cardinal O'Boyle dedicated new building.
|Convalescent Home renamed Convalescent Hospital. Two programs were administered: one for convalescent children and a second for emotionally disturbed children.
|January 10, Mary Merrick died at 88 years of age.
|Second Floor of Opportunity Shop established as antique and consignment store.
|Junior Guilds started with establishment of the Mary Virginia Merrick subchapter. Others followed.
|Convalescent care was phased out and the program was changed to 24 hour care of emotionally disturbed children. Name was changed to Christ Child Institute for Emotionally Disturbed Children.
|Society was reorganized into separate departments: Institute, Settlement House, Camp and Opportunity Shop.
|Settlement House and Camp committees combined at Settlement House.
|Settlement House was closed because of declining child population in neighborhood.
|Settlement House was sold
|The Institute for Emotionally Disturbed Children was closed.
|The School Counseling Program was developed and administered from the Institute Property.
|The Volunteer "Cum Laude" award was established
|First Annual Founder's Day was established
|Institute Property sold. Investment fund established to support Society programs.
|Camp program discontinued due to change in needs of urban children and lack of availability of trained counselors.
|Camp scholarship program established
|Downstairs of Opportunity Shop renovated and entire store dedicated to antiques and consignments.
|Mary Virginia Merrick declared "A Servant of God." The Cause of Canonization for Mary Virginia Merrick begins in earnest.
|Camp property sold. $1million of proceeds provided to Victory Youth Centers to build a recreation center at St. Thomas More in SE DC to be called the Merrick Center
|Mary Virginia Merrick Center opens.
|Family Support Program begins at the Merrick Center