Youth Development Worker
Department: Girls on the Rise
Position Status: Full Time 40 hours/week (2 positions available)
Girls on the Rise is an empowerment program for girls ages 8-18 and their families and is one of the programs of Christ Child Society of Washington. Our families reside in the community of Washington Highlands in Southeast’s Ward 8, which is one of the most under-resourced communities in the city. The program is year round and includes after-school, summer camp and family support programs. With a combination of social emotional learning, academic instruction, family support, and recreational and wellness activities, Girls on the Rise is transforming lives and giving the girls the vision to plan and the tools to build their bright futures.
This position assists the Girls on the Rise Program Director and Social Worker/Family Support staff in administering the after-school and camp programs at the Mary Virginia Merrick Center in Southeast Washington, DC.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Maintain relationships with the youth and families participating in the Girls on the Rise After-School Program.
- Assist in facilitation of after-school program groups.
- Ensure safety of all children in the program.
- Assist with after-school activities and meals.
- Ensure that program plans and activities incorporate the observed needs of individual children and youth.
- Meet the physical, social, emotional and intellectual needs of each child.
- Administer program curricula and other social/emotional interventions.
- Demonstrate, instruct, lead and facilitate planned and spontaneous program activities.
- Interact professionally with the children and their families.
- Work independently, as well as with a team to create an enriching, fun, and safe environment for program participants.
- Maintain a positive attitude and serve as a role model to youth in the program.
- Assist in creating and updating program schedules
- Assist in planning and managing program events.
- Manage and maintain attendance and prepare reports and updates on assigned groups.
- Attend staff meetings.
- Assist in the planning and overseeing of significant program events.
- Must be able to work after-school and periodic weekend hours.
Education: High School Diploma Required. College level coursework in education/recreation preferred. Child care work experience preferred.
Qualifications/Experience: Must enjoy working with school-aged children/teens. Have previous experience working with youth in a recreational or educational setting. Additionally, should have excellent time management skills, strong inclination for customer service, excellent interpersonal skills, ability to multi-task, ability to pay attention to detail, critical and creative thinking skills, polite, clear and compelling communication skills.
Please send your cover letter and resume to Christ Child Society Human Resources at email@example.com.